When you’ve been injured on the job, Florida workers’ compensation (workers’ comp) law dictates that employees must be treated by a doctor predetermined by the employer. However, you may be allowed to be cared for by your doctor if certain conditions are met.

Contact RTRLAW immediately if you have questions about who may provide you with medical care after you’ve been injured on the job. Specific rules must be followed after sustaining a workplace injury to qualify for workers’ comp. If you need more information about these rules or don’t know where to turn if you’re injured on the job, be sure to contact RTRLAW as soon as possible for a free, no-obligation case review where a legal team member can answer your questions and advise you of your options.

What Are Some Reasons I May Be Able to See My Normal Doctor for Treatment?

In most instances, Floridians who have been injured on the job must be treated by a physician who has been authorized by the insurance company that provides workers’ comp for that employer. However, there may be exceptions to this rule.

Some of the most common reasons that your personal physician may treat you include:

  • You require emergency medical treatment.
  • The insurance company did not give you sufficient notice of what physician should treat you.
  • The insurance company that handles your case has what is known as a managed care agreement that allows you to choose a doctor within the network (and your doctor happens to be included in the network).
  • Your workers’ comp claim was denied.

Please note: If you’ve been injured on the job, it is imperative that you seek treatment from an approved medical professional. Otherwise, you could face having to pay expensive medical bills out of your own pocket. Check with your employer’s workers’ comp insurance representative for the physician information. If you need help, give RTRLAW a call today at 1-833-HIRE-RTR (1-833-447-3787).

What Is an Independent Medical Examination?

An independent medical examination (IME) may be requested by the injured employee or the insurance company if there is a dispute over medical care. The injured employee can choose the examining doctor if they have requested an IME.

However, the individual will be required to pay for the exam. There are exceptions to this rule that include:

  • The medical professional is from the managed care provider network.
  • The insurance company decides to pay for the disputed medical care based on the IME report.
  • A workers’ comp judge finds in favor of the injured worker regarding the medical dispute.

It is imperative to understand that individuals are only permitted one IME during the course of their workers’ compensation case. Therefore, it is in your best interests to hire a knowledgeable attorney who can advise you on how to choose to go about requesting an IME.

Can I Change My Workers’ Comp Medical Provider?

Under very limited circumstances, you may be able to change your medical provider. However, due to the complex nature of Florida law in this regard, you need to speak to a seasoned Florida Workers’ Compensation attorney to discuss your legal options here. For further information or to discuss the situation in your particular case, please call RTRLAW’s workers’ comp attorneys toll free at 1-833-HIRE-RTR (1-833-447-3787).

How Can a Workers’ Comp Lawyer Assist Me with Medical Provider Issues?

If you are an injured employee experiencing issues related to your medical care, you need to seek legal advice from an experienced workers’ comp attorney. Workers’ comp laws can be complicated and challenging to try and navigate on your own.

RTRLAW’s skilled workers’ comp attorneys can offer you the legal counsel you need to ensure you receive the medical care (and workers’ comp benefits) you deserve. Contact us or call our toll-free number, 1-833-HIRE-RTR (1-833-447-3787), and request a free, no-obligation case review.