Florida Slip and Fall Attorneys Ready to Help Injured Victims Recover
Slip and fall accidents can cause tremendous injury to the victim. A simple slip and fall can cause sustained fractures, head injuries, neurologic injuries, and even spinal cord injuries. In Florida, if you slip and fall on someone else’s property, that person or business may be responsible and liable for your injuries.
If you’ve suffered serious injuries in a Florida slip and fall accident, you need an experienced personal injury attorney who can work on your behalf to recover financial compensation for your injuries and other related damages.
Often insurance companies try to undervalue, delay, or even deny a slip-and-fall claim to avoid a significant financial payout. Therefore, it is essential that you hire an experienced personal injury attorney like the attorneys at RTRLAW, who are fearless in standing up to insurance providers and fight to get clients the compensation they deserve for their injuries.
Contact RTRLAW today or call us toll free at 1-833-HIRE-RTR (1-833-447-3787) if you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident in Florida.
What’s Important to Keep in Mind Following a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you’ve experienced a slip-and-fall accident in Florida, you may be unsure about what to do next. Keep in mind the following key factors to protect yourself and your ability to recover compensation:
- Don’t leave a business location where you fell without reporting the incident to the management. If you leave and report the incident later, they could claim it never happened.
- Do ask for a copy of the incident report (please note that often management will not release a copy, but you should ask for it anyway because there are times when they will).
- Do seek medical attention immediately to document your injuries if you are injured. Have the business manager call emergency services or an ambulance to the scene if necessary.
- If contacted by the business’s insurance adjuster, do not speak with them without consulting with an attorney first, such as a personal injury lawyer from RTRLAW. Under no circumstances should you permit the insurance adjuster to record your conversation (they must advise you before doing so in Florida!). Be pleasant and take their name and telephone number and give this information to your attorney. Once you have informed an insurance adjuster that you are represented by an attorney, you do not need to discuss the case any further (and they are not permitted to discuss the case with you by law).
- Do preserve the shoes and clothing you were wearing when you fell as evidence.
- If you need to follow up with a physician, such as a chiropractor or orthopedic doctor, let your attorney know and our office will be able to provide a referral to a physician near you to treat your injuries. This physician will bill your insurance company or wait to get paid until the conclusion of your case. In most cases, you will incur no out-of-pocket expenses.
- Do contact RTRLAW as soon as possible. We work on a contingency basis and only get paid if we can reach a monetary settlement with the defendant’s insurance company, so legal representation will cost you nothing.
How Do You Prove a Slip and Fall Injury in Florida?
Florida slip and fall injuries can be complex to navigate on your own. An injury victim must prove many legal factors to get compensation for their injuries. To win a slip-and-fall case, the injured plaintiff must prove the following legal elements:
- The plaintiff slipped on a substance (such as water, grease, or something else).
- The fall occurred on someone else’s property.
- The substance that caused the fall created a hazardous condition.
- The property owner knew or should have known about the hazardous condition.
- The property owner should have corrected the hazardous condition.
- The property owner failed in their duty to correct the condition that resulted in the fall.
Florida law has provisions that allow slip-and-fall victims to prove the property owner knew or should have reasonably known about the hazardous condition. One option is for victims to prove that the condition existed for a certain period that the property owner should have discovered it. A victim may also prove that the hazardous condition occurred regularly, alerting the property owner to the problem. Lastly, the injured party may be able to prove the property owner was aware of the hazard and had sufficient time to correct the problem.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, you need a personal injury attorney who understands Florida law and how to prove liability. RTRLAW’s experienced and knowledgeable attorneys can evaluate your case and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
How Can I Recover Compensation For My Medical Bills After a Slip and Fall Accident?
One of the most pressing questions that most slip and fall injury victims wonder about is whether they can recover compensation for their medical bills and other related expenses.
If you’ve been injured due to another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to file a claim to recover economic and non-economic damages, also referred to as compensatory damages. In addition, depending on the circumstances of your case, you may also be able to collect punitive damages.
Will Economic Damages Cover My Medical Expenses?
Economic damages are designed to reimburse accident victims for expenses they have incurred because of being injured. Therefore, it’s critical that injury victims keep track of all their expenditures to ensure they recover the money they have spent.
Some of the most frequently awarded economic damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
With some slip-and-fall accidents, you may suffer severe injuries that require expensive ongoing medical care, such as physical therapy or rehabilitation. This type of specialized care can quickly create a financial burden for you and your family. The knowledgeable personal injury attorneys at RTRLAW can evaluate your case to determine what amount of financial compensation would be appropriate.
What Are Non-Economic Damages?
Non-economic damages are granted by judges to compensate some accident victims for intangible losses they’ve experienced due to being injured. Every injury case is different; therefore, the amount and types of non-economic damages awarded will differ significantly.
Some of the most frequently awarded non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Permanent disfigurement and scarring
Who is Eligible to Recover Punitive Damages?
Florida law does allow accident victims to seek punitive damages if their case meets specific legal criteria. Injury victims may recover punitive damages if they present clear and convincing evidence that the liable party is guilty of gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
Unlike compensatory damages that reimburse the accident victim, punitive damages are designed to punish the wrongdoer. Additionally, punitive damages also are meant to serve as a warning to others not to repeat the same type of behavior.
Florida law caps punitive damages at three times the amount of compensatory damages or $500,000, whichever is greater. However, punitive damages are rare in Florida. Nevertheless, a knowledgeable personal injury attorney like the ones at RTRLAW will be able to evaluate your case and determine if you are entitled to request punitive damages. For a free, no-obligation case review, call RTRLAW today toll free at 1-833-HIRE-RTR (1-833-447-3787).
Why Is RTRLAW the Best Choice to Represent Me in a Slip and Fall Accident?
RTRLAW is a full-service Florida law firm passionately committed to assisting slip and fall accident victims obtain the maximum compensation possible for their injuries. Our experienced personal injury attorneys are not afraid to stand up to insurance companies and their legal teams to protect our clients’ rights and make sure accident victims are treated fairly.
Our slip-and-fall accident attorneys will work diligently to ensure your legal rights are upheld and that the liable party is held accountable for their negligence.
RTRLAW’s highly experienced and aggressive personal injury attorneys are available to meet with you by phone or in person or at one of our six convenient office locations in Florida, including:
- Fort Lauderdale
- Lake Worth
- Miami (by appointment only)
- Jacksonville (by appointment only)
If you can’t come to us, we can come to you. At RTRLAW, our attorneys fight for our client’s rights to recover the financial compensation they deserve after suffering injuries caused by other people’s negligence.
Since 1988, RTRLAW has helped tens of thousands of injured clients recover hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements. Let our attorneys fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
For more information about how RTRLAW handles slip and fall accident claims or a free, no-obligation case review, contact our attorneys today, CHAT WITH US NOW, call or text us 24 hours a day, seven days a week, toll free at 1-833-HIRE-RTR (1-833-447-3787), or email [email protected].