Texas law requires all drivers to have car insurance coverage to operate a vehicle legally. The minimum coverage that all drivers must carry is $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage; this basic coverage is known as 30/60/25.

If you fail to have car insurance coverage, you could have your license suspended for up to two years, face a fine of up to $1,000, and have your vehicle impounded for up to 180 days.

What Type of Insurance Coverage Is Available in Texas?

Texas has four types of car insurance coverage available to drivers:

  • Liability coverage: Liability coverage is the minimum coverage required to operate a motor vehicle legally. Liability coverage pays for repairing or replacing a damaged vehicle and a rental car while repairs are being made. Liability coverage also pays for medical bills, lost wages, and funeral expenses if someone dies in a car accident in the covered vehicle.
  • Collision coverage: If you purchase a vehicle through a finance company, you’ll be required to purchase collision coverage for the duration of the loan. Collision coverage will either pay the amount necessary to make repairs, replace the car, or pay out the car’s value.
  • Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive coverage covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle if it’s damaged by acts of vandalism, if stolen, or if some event occurs other than a collision.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will pay for property damage and injuries if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance.

What Should I Do if I Am Involved in an Accident With an Uninsured Motorist?

Even though Texas state law requires motorists to carry some type of car insurance coverage, many people ignore this mandate and drive anyway without insurance. As a result, you may be involved in an accident where the other driver has no insurance.

However, you do have options to help you recover compensation to pay for accident-related expenses such as lost wages, medical bills, and vehicle repair costs. For instance, you can:

  • File a claim using your uninsured motorist coverage.
  • Use your health insurance coverage to pay for medical bills and expenses.
  • File a personal injury lawsuit against the uninsured driver who caused the accident.

How Can an Attorney Help Me After I Have Been Involved in a Motor Accident?

If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident, consult an experienced injury attorney to find out about available legal options. In cases where an uninsured/underinsured motorist has hit you, an attorney may be able to help you file a personal injury lawsuit to help recover the damages you’ve incurred.

A knowledgeable auto accident attorney also can guide you through the complex process of filing a claim and act as your legal advocate when dealing with the insurance company.

For more information about how an RTRLAW attorney can help you after being involved in a motor vehicle accident, or for a FREE, no-obligation case review, call RTRLAW at (972) 478-1801 or toll-free at 1-833-HIRE-RTR (1-833-447-3787) today!