West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyers Protect the Rights of Accident Victims
Accidents can happen to anyone at any time. Unfortunately, one person’s carelessness can cause life-changing injuries and harm for others. An accident victim carries a heavy burden, from hefty medical bills to chronic pain to changes in their relationships. The law recognizes these losses that victims may suffer and provides avenues for them to hold the person or persons at fault accountable for their lack of due care.
Many personal injury cases can be negotiated with the defendant’s insurance to reach a fair settlement for the victim without requiring a court case. However, in some circumstances, a defendant or their insurer will refuse to acknowledge their mistakes to avoid paying financial compensation. As a victim, it’s crucial to enlist the help of a trusted personal injury lawyer to protect yourself in these situations.
At RTRLAW, we strive to provide all our clients with outstanding legal representation and caring, compassionate legal advice every step of the way. We have been fighting for the rights of Florida accident victims since 1988. Contact us today at our West Palm Beach office to find out how our dedicated legal team can help you with a FREE, no-obligation case review at (561) 331-6920 or toll-free at 833-HIRE-RTR (833-447-3787).
What Should You Do Following an Accident?
Accidents happen suddenly and catch you off guard. In many cases, victims are too injured to do anything but wait for medical care. However, if you are not incapacitated by your injuries, taking certain steps after an accident can safeguard your well-being and improve your chances of recovering the full compensation possible for your case:
- Remove yourself from danger: If you have been involved in a crash, a fall, or any other type of accident, get yourself out of harm’s way and into a safe place to prevent further injury. However, do not move if you believe you have a spinal injury. You could make the injury much worse.
- Call 911 if anyone is severely hurt: Do not hesitate to get immediate medical care if you or anyone involved in the accident has suffered significant or life-threatening injuries. Follow the paramedic’s recommendations for treatment and do not refuse to go to the hospital if they deem it necessary.
- Contact police when needed: The police should always be called for car accidents involving injuries. Their accident report provides critical evidence for your case. Be sure to request a copy of the report for your case.
- Seek a prompt medical evaluation: Even if you feel ok after the accident, you may still have injuries. A medical assessment immediately following an accident protects your health and provides crucial evidence for your claim.
- Document evidence: Take pictures or video of the accident scene. Get insurance information from those directly involved. Collect contact information from witnesses.
- Contact a trusted personal injury law firm: RTRLAW provides FREE, no-obligation case reviews and you pay NOTHING upfront or until we win your case, so there is no risk in reaching out to discuss your accident and your legal options.
What Areas of Practice Does Our Law Firm Handle?
A wide variety of legal circumstances are covered by personal injury law. They all involve a victim who has been harmed by someone else’s carelessness. Our personal injury attorneys at RTRLAW are seasoned negotiators with decades of experience obtaining settlements for accident victims. We take pride in defending the legal rights of our clients and fighting for their monetary compensation.
The following are just a few of the personal injury cases where we may help and counsel clients:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Ridesharing accidents (Uber/Lyft, buses and taxis)
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and fall and trip and fall accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Defective products
- Wrongful death
- Negligent security cases
- Sexual assault cases
- Food poisoning
- Bed bug injuries
- Nail salon injuries and other premises liability cases
How Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Assist Clients?
Personal injury lawyers provide representation to those injured by the negligence of others. This entails much more than just filing a claim. Ways that your personal injury lawyer from RTRLAW can help you include:
- Case investigation: The first step of any case is determining the facts surrounding the accident and how to approach your claim. Your legal team will thoroughly analyze your case and look at every angle to provide the best possible legal counsel.
- Evidence recovery: Every strong claim requires solid evidence. As part of the information-gathering process, your lawyer may interview witnesses, obtain the police report, visit the accident scene, consult medical experts, and more.
- Claim management: Your lawyer will ensure all necessary documents are filed correctly and on time. They will advise you throughout the process, so that you can feel confident and less stressed.
- Claim negotiation: Our personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators with years of experience dealing with insurers of all sizes. We have a proven track record of successfully negotiating settlements for our clients. Since 1988, our firm has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for tens of thousands of clients.
- Case representation: If a defendant refuses to take responsibility for their actions or their insurance is unwilling to reach a fair settlement, RTRLAW will engage in litigation on your behalf. Our lawyers are trial-tested and ready to fight for your rights in court when necessary.
Are There Time Limits on Filing a Florida Personal Injury Claim?
Every state has a statute of limitations that defines how long a victim has to begin court proceedings for an incident. As of March 24, 2023, all legal actions founded on negligence must be filed within two years of the accident (Four-years if the incident occurred prior to March 24, 2023). This limit applies to nearly all types of personal injury claims.
This time limit makes prompt action critical to the success of your claim. If you miss the filing deadline, it will likely result in your claim being dismissed. However, even if your claim has passed the two-year mark, discussing the case with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can still be worthwhile because some circumstances can “toll” the claim. Tolling essentially extends the amount of time you can file a valid claim.
What Damages Could a Personal Injury Lawyer Help You Recover?
The insurance company may offer you a quick settlement for your injuries, but consult a personal injury lawyer first before agreeing to an offer. Once you have accepted a settlement, you lose your ability to seek further damages if you have more accident-related losses in the future. If your personal injury lawyer engages in negotiation or litigation with the insurance company, they will seek two main types of damages: economic and non-economic..
Economic damages cover financial losses from your accident, including:
- Lost wages.
- Medical expenses.
- Costs for medical supplies.
- Loss of earning capacity if you have suffered a debilitating injury that prevents you from working.
Non-economic damages attempt to make amends for the physical and emotional difficulties you’ve suffered due to your injuries. While these damages are much more subjective than economic damages, they generally increase with the severity and duration of your injuries. A seasoned personal injury lawyer will fight to ensure you are made whole after your accident and will ensure you are fairly compensated for your non-economic losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering.
- Mental anguish.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
- Disfigurement and scarring.
- Loss of consortium
There is also a third type of damages, known as punitive damages. The court may award punitive damages in certain cases where the defendant acted in a malicious or grossly negligent manner. The primary purpose of punitive damages is to punish the offender for their dangerous and harmful actions.
How Can Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Assist You?
It is the duty of government entities, companies, and regular citizens to act reasonably safely to ensure the well-being of others. Many state and federal laws exist to protect victims from those who act negligently and cause harm. The personal injury lawyers at RTRLAW take pride in upholding victims’ legal rights and helping them fight back when insurance companies devalue or deny their claims. We know how important a fair settlement is to your financial stability and future. We leverage all our experience and knowledge on your behalf to pursue justice and secure the best possible outcome.
No matter the complexity of your situation, we are ready to fight for you. Our compassionate lawyers take the time to understand the unique details of your accident case to provide solid legal advice. We have represented West Palm Beach-area clients dealing with a wide range of serious injuries, including catastrophic injuries, for more than three decades. We have worked diligently to recover damages on their behalf to cover the costs of medical treatment, lost wages, and other financial hardships. Since 1988, RTRLAW has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for tens of thousands of clients, and we can assist you, too.
Contact RTRLAW today to schedule a FREE, no-obligation case review and see how we can serve your legal needs. Our qualified and dedicated personal injury attorneys are available to meet with you at our West Palm Beach office, at any of our convenient Florida or Texas offices, or if you can’t come to us, we’ll come to you! For your convenience, we can take care of all the paperwork online. We’re here for you whenever and wherever you need us.
For immediate assistance, chat with us now or call us today at (561) 331-6920 or toll-free at 1-833-HIRE-RTR (833-447-3787).
For Those “Oooo” Moments, RETAIN THE FLAME!